Wednesday 15 September 2010

Making lemonade

It was still too revolting to do anything outside yesterday evening, so I took myself off to the gym after wetly walking Moose.

Pounding away on the treadmill is not everyone's idea of fun (possibly not even my own), but it was dry and warm and I find I can zone out after a few minutes and let my thoughts wander. As I plodded on and turned redder and sweatier, I drew up a satisfyingly long mental list of projects for the winter months.

Displacement activity it surely is, but it works for me. Empty hours drag me down so I shall continue manically filling them for as long as I can or need to do it.

And at the end of it all I found that I had run my 5k in under 30 minutes for the first time ever. 29 minutes, 18 seconds to be precise. It is amazing what you can do with a bit of pent-up craziness inside your head!

That small triumph followed by an earlyish night with the first hot-water bottle of the season has gone some way towards restoring my equilibrium for now.

I still wish it would stop raining though.

4 comments:

  1. I am dreading winter too and have decided to start clearing out some of the "it might come in useful" stuff that Cliff collected. That will take me the whole of winter as you can imagine :-)

    So, are you going to make lemonade then?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the clear-out. I'm still plodding through the workshop shelves. It is a very slow business.

    PS Got no lemons. Plenty of apples, but no lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible time! J have you always been a runner? I walk but I've never run or jogged.

    Good idea with the project planning, come to think of it I do that as winter approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much rain (or snow) can really dampen the spirits. I hope it lets up and gives you a break. Good idea about doing some time on the treadmill though. Having a chance to walk or jog, even if it's indoors, is good for the body and spirit. I often think that one of the true downsides to bad weather is that we don't tend to get out and about as much. Anything that can break the inertia is good in my book!

    ReplyDelete