Wednesday 25 February 2009

Playing the widow card

One often-cited cliché is that a major crisis in your life really shows you who your friends are. Cliché it may be, but it is true nonetheless. The support I have received from friends and family over the past few months has been the one positive aspect of the whole goddamn business.

But if I can allow myself just one teensy little whinge: I wish people wouldn't send me 'funnies' about death and bereavement. They just aren't. Funny, that is.
Until I was sent this link. Apart from making me laugh a lot, it also put into words something I have been conscious of, but until then had not been able to put into words, namely 'Playing the widow card'.

Today I shamelessly played the card not once, but twice. It wasn't one of those dips on the rollercoaster, it was simply an NFI day. I know that the world won't come to an end because I didn't go to a certain meeting and forgot to write up some minutes as I had promised, but I still feel ever so slightly naughty for doing it.
What the heck. Perhaps I just need a bit more practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment